What personally identifiable information do we collect?
Salt & Light Global collects and stores the information you enter on our website or provide via other means, such as over the telephone, through email, or at events.
When communicating with Salt & Light Global, especially for the purpose of registering for an event or ordering materials, you may be asked to enter your full name, email address, mailing address, phone number, credit card information, or billing address. You may choose to visit our site without providing this information; however, you may not be able to access all of our services.
We may supplement the information you provide us by acquiring publicly or commercially available information from the public domain or third parties. For instance, we may use the supplemental information to verify your address, to update your information and/or to create a profile of your preferences.
We may collect and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, we may collect and store anonymous demographic information, such as your zip code, gender and/or age. In addition, our servers may use log files to track browser type, IP address, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, access times, and your movement within the website.
How do we use the information?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one or more of the following ways:
- To personalize your experience: Your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs. For instance, we may use the information you provide to personally apprise you of ministries and resources relevant to your area of service.
- To improve customer service: Your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and ministry support needs. We communicate with users on a regular basis to provide requested services. When there are issues relating to a user account, we reply via email or phone in accordance with the users’ wishes.
- To process transactions: Your information helps us to process your transactions, including event registration and resource distribution. Your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to a third-party for any reason, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of completing the transaction requested.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature: On occasion, your information may be used to inform you of contests, promotions, surveys, or other related topics. Participation in contests, promotions, or surveys is completely voluntary. The information gathered from these contests, promotions, or surveys may be used, among other things, for enhancing the ministry of Salt & Light Global and improving this website. If you win one of our contests or promotions, your name and story may be posted on our website; we will also file your name with state agencies where required by law.
- To improve our website: Your information and feedback may be used to improve our website offerings. We may use software to verify a user’s address to avoid session hijacking, hacking attempts, or other attacks. We may use log files to gauge the effectiveness and security of our website, track information for statistical purposes, analyze trends, and to improve the services we provide. This information may be shared with partners, market researchers and other third parties on an aggregate, non-personally identifiable basis.
- To send periodic correspondence: Your information may be used to send you information and updates pertaining to products, services, events, and service announcements. It may also be used to distribute our newsletter, fundraising materials, updates on urgent issues, and other information that may be of interest to our subscribers. By providing us with your email address you consent to receiving communications from us electronically and all notices, disclosures and other communications that we provide to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications be in writing. You may opt to not receive these types of communications by contacting us.
- To Protect Us and Others: Your information may be released when we are required to do so by law, court order or other government or law enforcement authority or regulatory agency; to enforce or apply our Terms & Conditions or other agreements; or when we believe in good faith that disclosing this information is necessary or advisable, including, for example, to protect the rights, property, or safety of Salt & Light Global, our constituents, or others.
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online – for example on message boards, through email, or in chat areas – that information can be collected and used by others. In short, by posting personal information online that is publicly accessible, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return.
How do we protect your information?
Salt & Light Global works to protect the security of your financial information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”), which encrypts the information you input on the website. Please note that though SSL is the best encryption software we know about, there is no method of electronic transmission or storage that is 100% secure. Therefore, while we take great effort to ensure that your information is protected both online and offline, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. We encourage you to further ensure your security by taking your own precautions, such as signing-off when you are finished using a shared computer.
We have also implemented a variety of security measures within our ministry to protect your information. For instance, only ministry employees who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally identifiable information, and they are required to keep the information confidential. We also remove your private financial information (i.e. credit card numbers and expiration dates) 60 days after a transaction.
Cookies are small text files that are commonly deposited by websites on a user’s hard drive when the user visits a website. The file identifies a user’s computer and can record the user’s preferences and other data about the user’s site visit. We do not extract information about individual users during this process. Your web browser may enable you to disable cookies, but please note that certain services may not function correctly without it.
What choices are available to users regarding collection, use and distribution of the information?
If a user’s personally identifiable information changes (such as zip code, phone, email or postal address), or if a user no longer desires our services, the user may contact us to correct, update or delete/deactivate his/her personally identifiable information.
What personally identifiable information do we disclose to outside parties?
Salt & Light Global does not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our ministry, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. For instance, we may use an outside shipping company to ship orders or a credit card processing company to bill users for goods and services. These companies do not retain, share, store, or use personally identifiable information for any secondary purposes.
We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect our or others rights, property, or safety. In the event that Salt & Light Global is merged or acquired with another ministry, users’ personal information will likely be part of the assets transferred.
Non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
What other third-party connections could affect me?
Salt & Light Global has no control over and is not responsible for the privacy policies or information gathering practices of other websites, including those to which we may link and those which may link to us. We strongly recommend that you review the privacy policies of every online service you use before submitting any personal information and direct any concerns to the site administrator of that site.
This policy was last modified February 2013.